Vitual Tour and Information about the Bells

Virtual Tour

Behind this small door, there opens a whole new world, full of surprises, some major, some minor, but catering for all abilities & all involving heavy metal, if you dare step inside and stay.

Door

Up the stone spiral staircase, and you come to the ringing chamber, where we ring the bells. The 8 ropes in the image are each connected to a bell further up, and using these ropes, we manipulate each bell’s speed to create the type of bell ringing we do, know as Change Ringing.

Ringing Chamber

The next level up is the bell chamber. They are arranged in order from the lightest bell on the far right in a clockwise direction round to the tenor bell as labelled. Most of the bells are mouth down, so are safe for access, and how we leave the bells when we aren’t in the tower. Two of the bells, bells 5 and 6, are in the mouth up position, ready for us to ring. We pull on the ropes down stairs, and the bells complete a 360 degrees, and makes it’s sounds as it comes to rest. The colour scheme was chosen by previous LUSCR students in the 90s.

 

Bells 2

Next level, we have the Clock Chamber, which controls the clock faces on the outside of the tower. As it’s driven by it’s original clock weights that keep the pendulum moving, the clock keeps winds-up the clock every week.

Clock

And finally, we enter the spire, which seems to go up alot more from inside than what it looks like outside.

Spire

But also from here, on a clear day, you get some great views out across the city. A flavour of these are given below.

Leeds View
View out towards Leeds city center in the East
Armley View
View out over Kirtstall Cinema complex and out to Armley in the South
Burley View
View out over the Parish of Burley and out to Horsforth in the West

 

Headingley View
View out towards Headingley in the North

History

St. Matthias, Burley was consecrated on Friday 10th November 1854.  The tower is situated at the west angle of the south transept and with its spire rises to 166 feet in height.  The architects were Messrs Perkins and Backhouse.  The current ring of eight bells, which are hung for full circle ringing, replace a previous peal of six bells cast by Taylor and Son of Loughborough, which were given by the Misses Beckett.   The previous peal of six originated as a peal of three cast in 1854, and were augmented to six one year later in 1855.

Details of the Bells

All eight bells were cast in 1930 by Gillett and Johnston of Croydon.

Bell

Weight (Cwt-Qtr-Lb)

Diameter

Note

Treble

3-1-1

23”

Bb

2nd

3-1-12

23.5”

A

3rd

3-2-9

24.375”

G

4th

3-3-24

26”

F

5th

4-0-19

27.5625”

Eb

6th

4-3-7

28.25”

D

7th

5-3-9

31.25”

C

Tenor

7-3-16

35”

Bb

Sources

Dove’s Guide for Church Bell Ringers: http://dove.cccbr.org.uk/detail.php?searchString=burley&Submit=+Go+&DoveID=LEEDS+BURL

Ripon and Leeds Bells Website: http://www.riponandleedsbells.org.uk/burley.htm.